Posts for tag: Foot Fungus
Sometimes life gets hectic -- we rush to shower, dry off some, and then shove our damp feet into tight shoes. Every once in a while, our feet may start constant itching, signaling that we may have developed athletes' foot. Clear it up with Dr. Daniel Waldman at Blue Ridge Foot Centers in Asheville, NC. Dr. Waldman is board certified, teaches surgery nationally and internationally, including the latest minimal incisions, and can help you get itch-free.
Here are some tips to take care of your feet at home while getting rid of your foot fungus:
- Keep your feet cool and dry. Make sure that your socks are clean, fresh, and do not have any moisture in them. Foot fungus, also called tinea pedis, need a warm wet environment to thrive.
- Do not share personal belongings. Foot fungus is contagious, so it is critical to change all bedding, socks, shoes, and other items that might have come in contact with the infected foot.
- Wear shower shoes. Whether at the pool, after a shower, in the gym, try wearing shower shoes. It lessens the risk of a fungal infection of the foot.
- Use over the counter medication. Many drugstores carry affordable creams that are specially formulated to destroy foot fungus. When used as directed, these topicals can give you results in just a few days.
- Change your diet. Many yeasts and fungi thrive on sugars that are introduced to the body by diet. Try to reduce your starch and sugar intake as you take action to heal your infection.
While these tips can be quite effective, sometimes patients have to take a prescription oral medication to clear things up. Dr. Waldman can counsel you on which course of action to take and answer any questions you may have about your treatment.
Contact Blue Ridge Foot Centers, serving Asheville, NC, at 828-254-5371 to schedule a consultation.