Posts for: December, 2017
What your podiatrist in Asheville wants you to know about heel pain
If you are struggling from heel pain, it’s difficult to know what to do. The stabbing, aching pain in your feet can keep you from enjoying your life. Fortunately, there is help for heel pain. Dr. Daniel Waldman at Blue Ridge Foot Centers in Asheville, NC wants to share how he can help you get relief from heel pain.
There are some factors that can make you more prone to heel pain, including if you:
- Have flat feet or are a diabetic
- Are pregnant or carry excess weight
- Wear tight, constricting shoes or high heels
- Participate in high impact sports or activities
One of the most common causes of heel pain is plantar fasciitis. The plantar fascia is a large band of tissue running across your heel and when it is inflamed, it swells, causing heel pressure and pain. You can also develop heel pain from bruising your heel by stepping on sharp objects, or from bone spurs, caused by excess calcium deposits on your heel.
If you develop heel pain from plantar fasciitis or another cause, you can try these gentle, home remedies:
- Taking the weight off your feet and resting
- Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory or pain medications
If you’ve tried home remedies and still have stubborn heel pain, it’s time to visit Dr. Waldman. He will recommend professional therapies like these:
- Night splints to stretch your arches
- Custom orthotics to cushion your heel
- Cushions and supports to protect your heel
- Physical therapy to increase flexibility
- Extracorporeal Shock Wave Treatment (ESWT)
- Cortisone injections to decrease inflammation in your heel
- Prescription strength medications to reduce pain and inflammation
If you are struggling with heel pain, your podiatrist can help. It’s time to get relief by calling an expert like Dr. Waldman at Blue Ridge Foot Centers in Asheville, NC. Call today and take care of your feet!